Wednesday 16 May 2012

COP Publication - Hollowing a Book

Hollowing a book is pretty simple stuff. I was researching how to do it to see if there is a way of hollowing a book neatly with a high finish; not wanting it too look rough and homemade. I watched a few videos which were not particularly useful as I think I could probably cut through the pages of a book and it look better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS1XZOW4KWc

How to hollow a book - http://rive.rs/projects/how-to-hollow-out-a-book
Protecting the cover from any stray glue
Measuring and cutting.

Obviously the first thing you need is a scalpel with a fresh blade which is safe to use, a metal ruler, glue if you want the pages to join the inside pages together. I was thinking of laser cutting the pages but I think it will be difficult to line the book up with the laser to get a straight rectangle cut. 

I am going to use a Moleskine sketchbook/ notebook. I think the moleskin is a premium sketch book and it also has a leathery skin which I think will emboss nicely.

This is a Moleskine brand of notebook. 'Every Moleskine product is thread bound and has a soft cover with rounded corners, acid free paper, a bookmark, an elastic closure and an expandable inner pocket that contains the Moleskine history.'

Although I think their a bit expensive it... I need one for this.

Sizes available. 



Examples of embossed Moleskines. Im glad I found this, it means its possible to do. I am going to laser cut what I want embossing onto wood and then use that to press the moleskine. Similiar to the business cards we did for Juice Purse but using a different medium.

Lawrence Weiner/ Walker moleskine

No comments:

Post a Comment